Monday, March 18, 2013

Frozen Yogurt Fruit Smoothie {Recipe}

Now I'd like a Pina Colada and to place my feet in the sand on a beach.

As requested by popular demand, a post just on fruit smoothies. Let us take a moment and allow the mouth to water. OK, back to reality.

I've always loved making smoothies. And I still haven't perfected it. Let's just say I've had some bad, weird, strange and 'yucky' combinations. I think simple is the way to go. One trick I have learned and I swear by now is: Frozen Yogurt.

This trick allows the chunks of ice to no longer be in your straw for you to suck up into your mouth. No thanks. By using frozen yogurt, this eliminates the need for ice in a smoothie. And, it adds a creaminess and healthy benefit to the smoothie.


Whatever fruit you like, you get to use. I personally like the tart flavor and color blueberries and raspberries give. I've tried pineapple in to, and mango. Those two bring in a sense of tropical. Ah, the beach.......

Anyway, the frozen yogurt trick.

Frozen vanilla yogurt out of the ice cube tray and into the food processor



I have found that filling ice cube trays (silicone is MUCH easier to get out of) with your choice of vanilla yogurt works perfectly as a homemade, inexpensive frozen yogurt. I've done regular and Greek. Next, I'm going to try different flavors other than just vanilla.

Depending how big a smoothie you decide to scarf down want to make, depends on how many 'cubes' of frozen yogurt you want. I've found, about 4-6 cubes for 1 serving works. It also depends on what else you're putting in, fruit and juice wise. 

General Fruit & Yogurt Smoothie:

  1. 4-6 cubes frozen vanilla yogurt *Tip: take out of freezer ~10 min before using so the blender/food processor can 'blend' easier and not struggle
  2. about 1/2 cup frozen (or fresh) strawberries
  3. about 1/2 cup frozen (or fresh) raspberries
  4. about 1/2 cup frozen (or fresh) blueberries
  5. about 1 - 1 1/2 teaspoon wheat germ (added folic acid & health benefits, no taste)
  6. 1/4 - 1/2 cup juice (I've used apple or pineapple)



Can also add in 1/4 - 1/2 cup chopped (or frozen) spinach. Very little taste difference and slight green color, added iron benefits.
Can add in ground flax seed (1 tablespoon).

Get creative! This is what I've done and what I've found works. I use a food processor, since my blender is on the downhill side of life not working that great. 



No comments: