Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Breakfast for Dinner on my "Friday"

In my rotation for shifts Tuesday was my Friday so Happy Weekend to everyone that is not having a weekend! I'll enjoy mine for you. However, at the end of my "weekend" I'll be working overnight shifts, so there's where it turns around for me. None the less I'll have another "weekend" in the middle of the week next week. Confused yet?

Anyway, I was wanting to make breakfast for dinner for a while now and did so on Tuesday evening for my "Friday night dinner". A while back we had scrambled eggs with broccoli in them at our neighbors house and oh man were we turned on to something new and delicious. It does sound strange at first, but if you like broccoli then you'll love scrambled eggs with broccoli in them. It's also a healthy twist on breakfast. A great way to start your day with those green veggies we all need! Or in my case, start my weekend on Tuesday!




So I chopped some broccoli from the big stem and sauted them in dairy free butter for about 3-5 minutes until you could smell the broccoli and it was fairly wilted. Next I added in the eggs and scrambled them. In the scrambled eggs before I added them to the broccoli to cook I added maybe 3-4 teaspoons of Wheat Germ--protien and vitamin D (if I remember right). There isn't much taste with this small amount, but the taste is fairly light and slightly nutty. I love this stuff!

In the pancake mix I added cinnamon and vanilla extract and about 2-3 teaspoons of flaxseed--fiber and other nutrients. I love adding vanilla and cinnamon, it gives the pancakes (or waffles) a GREAT flavor!

The bacon was actually Turkey Bacon from the store and I baked the strips not fried. Baked at 375 degrees for about 12 minutes. Not as crispy as I'd like, a little on the chewy side, but it turned out great! I've been hooked on turkey bacon for quite some time now and don't think I could go back to regular bacon.

All in all, it was a pretty light and healthy twist on breakfast and it did not disappoint!

I hope you all have a wonderful Thursday tomorrow!

1 comment:

Crazy Eddie said...

Thanks, Char, for those great ideas. I've had scrambled eggs with broccoli before so I can testify as to how good that combination is. It's been a while since I had breakfast for dinner and I'm not sure why. Well, you have inspired me. I actually had dinner for breakfast once a couple of weeks ago so it's time I turned the table and have breakfast for dinner. Thanks for the inspiration and the wonderful post. Hope you had a wonderful "weekend."

Culinary McCook