Saturday, January 15, 2011

Enchilada's Crock Pot Style

I thought I'd go ahead and post the recipe for this. I've had a few requests for it and it is one of the best recipes for enchiladas I've found. I learned to make enchiladas in the crock pot, but have since learned the regular way. This is easy, and of course I've made some changes :)

Crock Pot Enchiladas {from the cookbook Fix-It and Forget-It Cookbook}

1 lb ground beef
1 cup chopped onions (I always half this)
1/2 cup chopped green bell peppers (I usually use a bit more)
16-oz can red kidney beans, rinsed & drained
15-oz can black beans, rinsed & drained
10-oz can diced tomatoes w/green chilies (I use Rotel)
1/3 cup water
1 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/3 teaspoon pepper
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar
1 cup shredded Pepper jack or Monterey jack cheese(I usually just use one kind of cheese)
6 flour tortillas, 6-7 inch diameter (Depending on the size of your crock pot the tortillas may be bigger or smaller)

Cook the beef, onions and green peppers until beef is browned & veggies are tender. Drain excess grease. Add the next 8 ingredients. I've found if you like Rotel, you can add an extra can in. It seems a little too "bean-y" to me at times. Combine (or just shred) cheeses. In a slow cooker layer about 3/4 cup meat/veggie mix, then a tortilla, then about 1/3 cup cheese. Repeat until last layer is cheese on top of a tortilla. I never use proportions right, so I have more or less layers with more or less meat and cheese. Oh well, tastes the same.





**Recipe says to cook on low for 5-7 hours or until heated through. I don't buy that, I think it'll be burnt up. Everything is cooked already, and all you are doing is melting the cheese and warming everything together. Once it is all cooked and you layer it in the crock pot, I'd give it 45 min-1 hour on high, then check it, turn to low and monitor for another 15-20 minutes. I'm nervous leaving this cook all day, so its a pretty quick crock pot dinner for me.  

I hope you try this out and I hope it works for you. Let me know how it goes! Sorry for the lack of pictures, having trouble uploading.

Happy Saturday!

No comments: