Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Hey Little Muffin

Starting the new year off right, and also continuing to eat healthy since being pregnant, I'm making better choices about what we eat as a family. Well Jackson doesn't really have much food choice yet, but soon enough.






I'm also striving to save as much money as I can when buying groceries. So meal planning is a must. I'm trying to make ahead as much as I can and keep our freezer stocked with pre made spaghetti sauces and muffins. I like the idea of having healthy choices for a quick grab 'n go for breakfast that isn't drive through. We don't usually do fast food anymore anyways. Gosh, it's probably been months since we've had drive through food.


Whole wheat oat muffins
1 cup old fashioned oats
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
3/4 cup packed brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
**optional: 2 tableapoons flaxseed



The flaxseed is the extra healthy kick and good for you too! The taste doesn't change much, just gives it more of a nutty flavor.


In a large bowl combine all the dry ingredients, and flaxseed if you use it. In another bowl whisk eggs, milk, oil and vanilla. Pre heat oven to 400°F. Fill greased or paper lined cups in a muffin pan 2/3 the way full. I used a small ice cream scoop to fill paper cups. Bake for 15-17 min.



I couldn't wait, they were just sitting right there, staring at me. Yum!
Have a great week!

No comments: