Saturday, March 24, 2012

Refreshing Me

Let's start by grabbing a nice big glass of water, or a water bottle. Got it? Good. Read on. 

Image via here
 


Not a new me per se, but a new outlook or better yet, a refresher on my outlook. Healthy & Fitness.

I've always been a pretty active and healthy person, heck I don't drink soda and if you knew how much water I drink on a daily basis you would wonder why I'm not sitting on the toilet all day long. Too much info? Ok, enough with that I promise.



Image via here


Anyway, I've made some better choices about my eating habits especially now after having a baby that should continue on. Like I said, I ate healthy before but just re-evaluating what I do. My cooking habits will have to reflect this as well. 
Image via here
 


I'm a HUGE lover of pasta, carbs, bread, pasta, bread, you get the idea. So for the last 2 weeks I've left out ALL pasta, carbs and bread. I've been sticking to protein, fruits and veggies. Pretty drastic? Not really. Looking at a daily consumption of food, I normally have carbs or bread in every meal. It's not really necessary. I'm doing fine without it. Now, I'm not being super strick and not allowing myself to have these, just making large cut backs. If I completely ignored my want for pasta (because let's face it, it is a MUST for me!) then I would likely binge eat and that wouldn't be good. 


So here's to making healthy, better choices! It's good for you and it tastes great! Who doesn't love apples, strawberries, raspberries, oranges, pineapple, green beans, asparagus, celery, lettuce, spinach, chicken, turkey, beef? And yes, pasta too :)


And, remember to drink plenty of water. It is good for you, keeps you refreshed, curbs appetite (a little) and helps get rid of toxins and flush out your system.


Image via here

 If you're thirsty, then you are already dehydrated. There is research (and searching the interwebs) that says you should drink half your body weight in water, in ounces of course. So, for example if you weigh 150lbs, you should drink 75 oz of water a day MINIMUM. Yes, this can be hard if you don't like the taste of water. Start off by drinking things that are mostly water but flavored. Crystal light, water with lemon or lime, heck water down some coffee or juice or soda to start off and gradually get the quality back up. The point is, hydrate yourself!






Disclaimer: I am not a nutritionalist or a dietitian, I'm just someone who has drank water for a long time, drank a lot of it, played many sports/activities, been coached for a long time through the years, and have experience drinking plenty of water & being completely dehydrated (and hospitalized). You don't have to trust me at all, these are just suggestions and advice.

No comments: