Saturday, April 14, 2012

Baby Food 101

Making apple sauce

All of the baby food that Jackson has eaten so far, I've made. Besides the oatmeal rice cereal, I've made everything else. It has been pretty cost effective too. We've tried Avocado, Banana, Sweet Potato, Zucchini, Carrot, Apples (sauce), and next is Butternut Squash. 


It has been pretty easy thanks to my handy dandy food processor. This thing rocks!


The baby food making process has been pretty easy and fun too! I love that I know exactly what is in the food that he eats. And color compare, WOW! It's hard to believe the color of the food on the shelves is what it says it is when the color of the natural stuff I make is so different. Carrots are a vibrant orange, zucchini is a neon green, apple sauce smells of warm apple pie. Bananas and avocado are easy, just peel, remove seed (avocado) and mash up real good. The food processor does that too for the other foods.


I freeze the pureed food in ice cube trays and then transfer to a zip lock bag. So easy! Take a cube or two (depending how much baby eats) in the morning to put into a container and leave in the fridge. It should thaw out by afternoon time. Or do it the night before. Wa-la!


When Jackson eats this, I scoop out of the container into a bowl he's eating from. Important: because once you dip into the food, put in mouth and back to food it has been introduced to bacteria. So to keep the food in the container "clean" I just scoop what I need into a bowl. Plus, by only using a cube at a time, I'm saving all the rest for later.


Genius!


Give it a try if you like. The apple sauce is really good. Yes, I tried it. Baked apples with a touch of cinnamon. Pureed. Who says it's just for baby? This might be "baby food" but it's all regular food made for Jackson.

Some of the goodness in the freezer: Carrots, Sweet Potato
For all the recipes and tips, I've used Wholesome Baby Food for help.

No comments: