Friday, October 8, 2010

Recent delishness & upcoming wonderfulisms from Char

Well it seems life has caught up to me and I forgot to post this about 2 weeks ago, yikes! What can you do when you work full time?! I havn't got pictures to put with this yet, I know, I know, but I wanted to send this out since I forgot and left it as a draft. Just to share some of the wonderful yummy ideas I've come up with and made in the kitchen. Still wanting to try the Taco Puffs, and will. Fall hasn't quite got here yet in Phoenix, but it is slowly creeping in. We've had some active weather over the last 2 days so that has kept me busy.  It seems that I've been nominated for an award, how in the world?! But it was from my long lost friend Amy over at Eating with My Mouth Open. How sweet! We went to school together way back in Kindergarten in Denver, CO and we've met up and found each other, what distance and time has separated us we've come back together! She is such a sweetheart and so crafty when it comes to cooking. Definitely an inspiration! Without further a-do....

Thought I would do a quick post about some of the wonderful things I've put together & come up with for dinner around here. 

So the plan for the week was:
Monday - Grilled Chicken & Scalloped Potatoes
Tuesday - Texas Bean Chili
Wednesday - Chipotle Chicken Bites w/ Chipotle Mayo Dipping Sauce
Thursday - Mac n Cheese
Friday - Grilled Corn w/ Brats

All of these were new ideas and recipes to me, having never made any of these. With a combination of glancing through cookbooks to find the recipe for Scalloped Potatoes, it called for pork chops but I substituted chicken since that was what I had, to find the recipe for Taco Puffs, to be made later, which I'm excited about because it sounds so good, and throwing together half recipe-half made up for the Chipotle Chicken Bites and then completely making up my own Texas Bean Chili, this week should serve as quite the cooking challenge....on top of working full time and keeping up with the start of hockey season!

First off, the Scalloped Potatoes were amazing and I had some great help with these, thanks Joshy! I did the chicken while he did all the works for the scalloped potatoes. What a great guy :) Turned out awesome!

Next for my attempt at a homemade chili type soup. I know what to do better next time, that is what I got out of doing this, haha! It wasn't bad, but could definitely be better and maybe add some meat next time.

These little bites were Ah-May-Zing!!! Wow, I definitely know what to make for an appetizer for a holiday party, holiday get together, party with friends, sports event party, Thursday night dinner, etc. Simple to make and such a flavor blast in your mouth and the potential to be more spicy, just the way I like it! There is something so filling about a little bite like this that you munch on that fills you up but doesn't make you overly full with a stomach ache.

Yes, I know I am lactose intolerant and can't handle cheese. I do very well staying away from it but sometimes I just get such an urge and want it! Don't worry, I paid for it later, and the next day :( But it was worth it!

I was in the mood to grill and had some corn on the cob I needed to use up. Pulled out some brats, spicy Italian sausage brats, from the freezer and added some beef broth flavored steamed Quinoa to go with. Yum! It still feels like summer here in Phoenix so I still wanted to grill.

Also, found another recipe I have to try: Taco Puffs.This recipe sounded so good, I just have to give it a try. After finding this recipe when I was just flipping through a cookbook I inherited from helping my brother move (thanks Jim!) whether he knows it or not, I took it and I'm making use of it. Man what a great idea for a recipe; taco filling inside a biscuit - yum!

No comments: