Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Hey, Hey Little Muffin

These tasty muffins made their debut!
After sharing this photo on Instagram of these wonderful little banana muffins I made, I had a few requests for the recipe. So for all of you, here you go!

The recipe is originally from Taste of Home but, of course, I modified it a bit.

Banana Oat Muffins

1 1/2 cups old fashioned Oats
1 1/2 cups flour (I didn't have whole wheat so just used regular white)
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 bananas, mashed
2 eggs
3/4 cup milk
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/4 cup vegetable oil**
2 tablespoons ground flaxseed (There is no taste with this, if anything a slightly nutty taste)

** I wanted to make it a bit more healthy so I sub'd in apple sauce for the vegetable oil, 1/4 cup apple sauce, unsweetened.

The applesauce and small amount of brown sugar are all the "sweetness" in this recipe but the bananas help to give the "flavor" a sweet touch without being too sweet. If you'd like, add more brown sugar to be sweeter as this is a healthy version.

In a small bowl combine oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, flax and salt. In another bowl whisk eggs, milk, oil/applesauce and vanilla. Add in mashed bananas. Stir wet ingredients into dry ingredients and mix until just moist. 

Fill greased muffin tin cups or paper-cups (Or be super special and use the new re-useabe muffin cups you just got! 2/3 full. Bake at 400 degrees for 15-17 minutes. Let cool before you dive into these and eat them all up. With this batch I was able to get 16 muffins. They are pretty hearty and fill you up. A great grab-n-go breakfast item. And Healthy!

Have a great week. And if you are super special maybe you have a short week due to the Labor Day holiday, if so, ENJOY :)

1 comment:

Hanna said...

I think I have to try these. So healthy compared to all the decadent crap I make:)