Thursday, November 18, 2010

My Tribe

"The family.  We were a strange little band of characters trudging through life sharing diseases and toothpaste, coveting one another's desserts, hiding shampoo, borrowing money, locking each other out of our rooms, inflicting pain and kissing to heal it in the same instant, loving, laughing, defending, and trying to figure out the common thread that bound us all together."  ~Erma Bombeck

"Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family.  Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one."  ~Jane Howard


The best thing about family is that no matter the distance between you, they're always there with you no matter what. I'm lucky enough to be close to most of my family members, but not in location. Communication is a big factor in my life and I don't think I could go a whole day without talking to one of them.


I'm lucky to have such great family members that are my best friends. And equally some of my best friends I consider family because of the relationships I have with them. I can not count on two hands how many great relationships and great people I have in my life...it would take dozens of hands. And for that I consider myself lucky. Even blessed. 


Family is there for you in good times to celebrate life's little accomplishments and festivities. Family is there for you when times are rough and even hurtful. The strength of family is like a dam holding back the water in a large lake; holding on to one another and standing by your side you can bare through tough times.


Profound? Wise? Possibly. I don't take for granted the cards I've been dealt. Instead I hold them tight in my pocket.



No comments: