Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Spaghetii, made my own way!

Went for the easy dinner idea last night: Spaghetii. However, I wanted to do something a bit different. I guess it's not really that different, just wanted to give it a twist. At first I really wanted to do a spaghetii bake and I wanted to use penne noodles but I didn't have enough. So I went traditional with spaghetii noodles. It was yummy! This recipe is really "make-it-how-you-want-it".

Spaghetii a-la Veggie:
  • 1/4 to 1/2 onion chopped
  • 1-2 cloves garlic, minced
  • 1/2 - 1 lb ground turkey (or ground beef, all I had was about 1/2 lb turkey)
  • 1/2 to 1 whole green bell pepper, chopped
  • 1 small zucchini, diced
Start by putting the onion and garlic in a deep pot with some extra virgin olive oil. Saute onions & garlic until onions are tender. Add meat (ground turkey was great!) and brown. Add veggies. These veggies were terrific! You can add other veggies if you'd like; yellow or red bell pepper would be great, I'm sure mushrooms would be tasty as well. Cook for a few min but don't let the zucchini get too soft; it was nice to have a little crunch in the sauce with the fresh veggies.
  • 1 can Hunt's spaghetii sauce, large--20oz or so (any flavor you'd like, but probably best to stick to something fairly simple. I used garlic & herb, I love garlic!)
  • 1 can diced/peeled tomatoes (to add more sauce)
  • 1-2 Tblsp oregano
  • 1-2 Tblsp parsley
  • 1-2 Tblsp garlic salt
Season to your own liking, with whatever you like. I personally love garlic. You can also add season to the meat before or as you add the veggies. Let sauce simmer/cook on low for about 10-15 min as you cook your noodles. Cook noodles to your liking, amount and kind. I am in love with wheat noodles lately and they are great for you! I hope you have a wonderful dinner!

1 comment:

Mrs. Micek said...

Following you back from Gerber Days! :) Don't you just love Heather's blog? I can tell you she is just as wonderful in person as she is on her blog! :)
Your recipes look mouthwatering by the way!! I can't wait to read up and get some new yummy ones! :)