Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dinner tonight...

I've planned out some meals for the week. Makes it easier when you work crazy hours like I do! So for tonight: Tangy Turkey Meatballs. From the recipe book I have & love, Taste of Home, thanks to my Grams. The recipe calls this to be an appetizer but, I can just make it a meal by adding some rice or noodles or just eating these alone!

I tend to alter recipes quite often, since I don't always have exactly what they call for or I want to make it my own! That's all the fun of cooking, and I really do love it! For this recipe I am using a bit more meat, so I will make more meatballs, but you can always do with the ingredients what you want.

Tangy Turkey Meatballs:
  • 1 egg white
  • 2 Tblsp dry bread crumbs
  • 2 Tblsp chopped green pepper
  • 1 garlic clove, minced
  • 2 drops hot sauce (siracha hot sauce for me!)
  • 1/3 lb lean ground turkey
  • 1 tsp canola oil
Sauce:
  • 1/4 cup ketchup
  • 2 Tblsp water
  • 4 tsp lemon juice
  • 4 tsp red wine vinegar
  • 2 tsp brown sugar
  • 2 teaspoon molasses (I will use sugar-free syrup instead)
  • 1/2 tsp ground mustard
  • 1/4 to 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/8 to 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1/8 tsp pepper
Start by combining  egg white, garlic and hot sauce in a large bowl. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shaping into 1-inch balls and place on a small nonstick skillet, brown in oil over medium heat and drain.
Combine the sauce ingredients & pour over meatballs. Bring to a boil, reduce heat & cover to simmer for 10 minutes or so. This recipe yields 8 meatballs.

No comments: