Friday, June 18, 2010

Italian Enchiladas

Another cooking recap. I have been on a pasta kick for a while, actually a lot longer than you'd think, as I love pasta and have deemed the nick name "Pastatarian" long ago when I was younger. Lately I've been trying to mix it up and make something other than just spaghetii. I'm sure Josh doesn't appreciate or want spaghetii every single night, while I on the other hand could actually live on it for a while. I was in the mood for mexican food the other night and while we didn't have any tortilla's to make burritos I remembered having enchilada sauce in the cupboard. But still no tortillas you say? No problem. I've had these no-boil/no-cook lasagna noodles for a while and never made lasagna, mainly due to the fact that I can't have cheese. So I thought, why not use them as tortilla-substitutes and make enchiladas. Wa-la! Came up with my own recipe and it was Ahh-mazing :)

Enchilada's Italian Style
1 lb ground beef (or turkey as I used)
1 can (10 oz) red enchilada sauce
1/4 teaspoon oregano (I eye balled most of the spices to taste)
1/4 teaspoon basil
1/4 teaspoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon dried minced onion (fresh chopped, sauted onion might have been better)
About 6-8 no-boil lasagna noodles

I used a smaller pan for these, I believe it was 8x6 inch? It was the next smallest to the 13x9 inch pan. If you use more meat then a bigger pan would work, but I just made enough for us two.

Brown the meat, then add the enchilada sauce. Heat for a few min; add spices. Layer in pan with meat sauce first, then noodles; repeat until you top with a layer of meat sauce. Bake at 350 degrees for about 25 minutes, check to make sure the noodles are cooked and soft. Take out and top with cheese; bake for another 5 minutes until cheese is melted. I must say, the no-cheese enchiladas are pretty good as well! I also added come salsa. Enjoy!


No comments: