Sunday, August 1, 2010

Dinner: Sweet Potato-Apple Casserole

Alright, this will be the last food post of the day. At least it will get your mouth watering and ready for the week ahead, right?! I've been busy cooking this last week and will be taking a break for a few nights, maybe :) Found this recipe in my Taste of Home cookbook, can you tell I love this book? It just jumped out at me while I was searching through the veggies section. I love sweet potatoes. I almost made the casserole that my mom makes during the holidays, you know the one with the marshmellows and brown sugar, but I knew I didn't need all that sugar! Instead, this was a healthier twist with some added apples. Pretty easy to make, and I've never cooked sweet potatoes before!
I used:
3 large sweet potatoes
2 yellow-green apples
a handful of brown sugar
about a teaspoon of ground cinnamon
about 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 cup orange juice

Put sweet potatoes in a pot of water, bring to a boil and reduce heat to low/turn off. Cover and let cook for about 30 minutes until tender. Cool and peel. Slice into 1/4 inch slices and layer in a 13x9 inch greased pan. Slice and core apples in 1/4 inch to 1/8 inch slices and layer in pan along with sweet potatoes. Pour in orange juice, sprinkle on brown sugar and ginger. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, maybe a little longer depending on how tender/soft you want the sweet potatoes. Wa-la! Such a yummy, sweet, twist of a dinner with the orange juice and apples mixed in with the sweet potatoes. I also made some pasta with italian dressing to go along with the meal. A lovely summer dish!

No comments: