Friday, August 13, 2010

Greek Style Chicken

Food Friday with a yummy new recipe! I found this recipe in my Crock Pot cookbook. I made a few changes, as always, depending on what I have on hand. It was amazing! It says to serve over rice, but depending on your tastes you could serve it plain with no rice or even some sort of noodle as well. The chicken alone was great.

Greek Style Chicken

3 large chicken breasts
1-2 tablespoons EVOO
Salt and Pepper
1 lemon sliced (I didn't have a lemon so I used Lemon Pepper, about 2-3 tablespoons. Tasted great!)
1 tablespoon dried oregano
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup chicken broth (next time I would use a little more)
1 can black olives, drained (I didn't have the greek olives)

Cook and brown chicken in skillet with olive oil until brown. Season with salt and pepper. Put cooked chicken in crock pot and add chicken broth, olives, oregano, lemon (or lemon pepper), and garlic. Heat on high for 1 & 1/2 hours or until chicken is tender. OR, you can throw this in the crock pot in the morning on low and leave it on for about 5-6 hours and it should be ready when you get home! Basically you are simmering the chicken in the spices and broth with the olives to tenderize the chicken. I made this when I got home from work and it was in for almost 2 hours and it was great! A few stirs and flips of the chicken and it was great!

It was good served with fresh steamed white rice and green beans, but by all means it can be customized to however you like. Definitely a dish I'd serve when having peole over for dinner or a holiday meal. I'm not Greek, that I know of, but I'd sure like to try more Greek dishes :)

No comments: